Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Fortune

This is a small portion of one of the stories contained in So, Whatcha Think?




“At the end of our meal, the waiter brought the check and fortune cookies. You know how they always put the check on the little black tray and just place the cookies on top?” Sharon asked.

“Yeah…and?” Mary said, sounding a bit confused.

“Well, it was odd. The check was on the little black tray but the waiter placed a tea cup in front of each of us and our fortune cookies were inside.”

“That’s weird. Maybe that place is just trying to be more personal to their customers.” Mary said.

“I wasn’t sure what to think. I opened my fortune cookie as Seth was getting his card to pay the bill. I couldn’t believe what the fortune said.” Sharon's voice fell off a bit as she spoke.

“Did it say you had found your handsome prince?” Mary said with a sweet smile.

“No, it said. ‘Your life is in danger! You must leave the city immediately! Say nothing to anyone! We will contact you. Remember…say NOTHING!’” Sharon's voice was almost a whisper.

“What!?! Was it some kind of cruel joke?”

“I just froze and I read it again. When I looked up, Seth was staring at me.”

'"Something wrong? Didn’t get the fortune you wanted?' He asked me.

“I could see out of the corner of my eye, those two men were now watching me very intently. I wasn’t sure what to do. So, I just said. ‘Have you ever played the lucky numbers from your fortune on the lottery?’”

“He laughed. ‘Those fortunes are just for entertainment you know.’”

“I said. ‘Yeah, I know. I was just thinking how wonderful it would be to win the lottery.’ “I didn’t know what else to say. I just slipped the fortune into my purse.” Sharon opened her purse and took out the fortune. She handed it to Mary to read.

“Oh My God! Sharon! What does this mean!?!” Mary said very shocked.

“At the time I didn’t know…but now I do.”

Mary was just staring at Sharon in complete disbelief.

“That look you have on your face is exactly how I have felt since reading the fortune.” Sharon said, her voice filled with sadness and fear.

What happened to Sharon after she received the fortune was unbelievable! Want to know what happened?

No comments:

Post a Comment