Wednesday, May 9, 2012

MNINB (MY NAME IS NOT BOB)



In April, I took part in the April Platform Challenge hosted by Robert Lee Brewer through his MY NAME IS NOT BOB blog.  It was amazing how many people took part in this challenge.  We would comment on the daily task post with our opinion of the task, an update when we completed the task, and advice to others participating.  It didn’t take long before
the group of us participating became a community.  A writerly support group, if you will.

The challenge is over and with the end of the exercise one would expect the group of us to disperse and move forward with our different blogging and writing project…but we didn’t disperse.  We are still a community; a writerly support group.

We have a group on Facebook, a page on Google+, a group on LinkedIn, a group on GoodReads, and a Twitter hashtag (#MNINB).

We have become the MNINB Group of Writerly Folks.  We also call ourselves The Not Bobbers…fitting since we formed through MY NAME IS NOT BOB.  Robert is a part of our little community and watches our interactions online.  He pops in with an article and/or post of advice when he reads us batting around an issue, a question, etc.  April may be over, but Robert is still teaching and guiding us, and for that (I am speaking for the group as a whole now and I hope they are OK with what I am about to say) we are extremely grateful and appreciative.  THANK YOU ROBERT!

Lara Britt, one of the Not Bobbers, is doing a series on her blog about the MNINB community.  She is highlighting blogs and introducing the world to the writers behind those blogs.  Thank you Lara for your Annotated Blogroll Series!!

Sometimes life does this…takes a small experience and lets it grow into something wonderful and fantastic.  I am honored to be a part of the MNINB community and am grateful for all their support, advice, and friendship.  I invite you to visit Lara’s site and learn more about some wonderful writers and where to find their work.

If you would like to challenge yourself to the April Platform Challenge, you can.  Robert has created a link list of our 30 day challenge and that can be found at Robert’s blog.  http://robertleebrewer.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-build-or-improve-your-writer.html

Connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, and through my website.   Plus, sign up for free e-mail updates from this blog.  Links can be found in the right sidebar.

Thanks for reading!

Brooke Ryter

14 comments:

  1. Well said Brooke! A toast to Robert, Lara, the whole MNINB community...and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed building a community with everyone. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been fun along the way!

      Delete
    2. It's been beyond fun! I've learned so incredibly much along the way! Thank you for the kind works, Brooke! And thank you for thanking Robert again for all of us.

      Delete
    3. Yes - challenge was life changing

      Delete
  3. Nicely put, Brook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Just expressing how I feel and how much I appreciate all of you.

      Delete
  4. Well said! It's amazing that we all managed to form this wonderful community even after the completion of the Platform challenge. There are quite a few people to thank for that. Lots of great people taking the initiative to form groups on FB, Google+, LinkedIn and Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing and, in my humble opinion, WONDERFUL!!

      Delete
  5. Yes, many Kudos to Robert and all the Not Bobbers who have taken this group above and beyond the original goal

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very nice post!
    In fact, I don't seem to know about the Goodreads group, or the one in LinkedIn. Would you send me details? Thanks for being such a supportive community!
    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right, Brooke. The group is a wonderful support for what can be a solitary existence.

    I am still trying to find an expert willing to give me an interview, but I've got two guest posts lined up for later this month. Then I, too, will finally be able to say I'm finished with the Platform Challenge, but I don't expect I'll ever be finished with needing the wonderful group of writerly friends we've made for ourselves.

    Thanks Robert, it has renewed my courage for trying to put words together.

    ReplyDelete