Thursday, July 5, 2012

I Received Constructive Criticism...

...regarding the FREE First Chapter Download.  I pondered and the commenter makes a point.


The first Chapter Download was released as a PDF file on June 15th on my Author Website.  When the reader clicks on the Download button, the file opens in their
browser.  The file format also allows for saving to a storage device, such as a hard drive, zip drive, etc., for later reading.  On the same page as the Download button I have placed instructions for where to go to download the free Adobe PDF reader from Adobe, if needed.

The PDF file and the free reader from Adobe are free of bugs and viruses.  Let's face it, I wouldn't expect to sell many copies of the book when it is published in December if I release FREE Chapter Downloads that are infected.  But, the fear is still present and may be hindering people from downloading and reading the chapter.

So, to do my best to alleviate fears regarding the downloading of the chapters, I will be posting the full text of the chapter on this blog and on my website.  The PDF files will still be made available for download and saving for those readers who would prefer that route.

The commenter also stated that they liked the layout of my Author Website but couldn't find their way back to the FREE First Chapter Download page after clicking and reading the other pages on my site.  They stated that they would have kept the site much simpler.  I find this statement a bit peculiar as there is a site menu list across the top of every page and the FREE First Chapter Download can be found under the tab 'First Chapter'.  Simply clicking on that menu option takes your directly back to the FREE First Chapter Download.  Although I understand the logic and usefulness of simplicity, I also understand the careful balance of organization of information and properly sized snippets.  To much information on one page would overwhelm most people.  Simplicity would work on my site if this book were my only work in progress, but it is not.  My works in progress include two full novels and a children's book series, advice for writers, story prompts, and a writer's community webpage.  All this information packed into a smaller format would boggle the mind.

It is through comments that I learn how you, the reader, perceives this blog and my website.  Through the comments I learn and adjust what I need to in order for your experience in both places to be as easy and user friendly as possible.  Please continue to comment and tell me Whatcha Think.  If you don't tell me, I have no way of knowing.

I will be posting the full text of the First Chapter on this blog and on my Author Website later today.  The next chapter will be released on July 20th.

At the top of the right side-bar is a place where you can subscribe to this blog via email.  This subscription will deliver the blog posts to your email inbox.

Check out my Author Website if you haven't already.  You can also connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and by email.

Thanks for reading!

Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment